Homework & Research Help
The “databases” here have lots of information not typically available through the Internet. Patron Login required on specified sites. Please visit or contact the Library if you require a login setup.
|Academic Search Premier – offers access to video content from the Associated Press, the world’s leading news agency. Videos relevant to the search terms appear in a carousel in the result list. With footage from 1930 to the present and updated monthly, this collection of more than 60,000 videos covers a wide variety of topics.|
|MasterFILE Premier – contains full text for general reference magazines and publications that cover a wide-range of subject areas including business, health, education, general science and multicultural issues. PDF backfiles are available as far back as 1922 for key publications including American Libraries, Foreign Affairs, History Today, Library Journal, National Review, Saturday Evening Post and more. In addition, Science News is available in HTML back to 1975.|
|Canadian Reference Centre – Access “Canadian content” in domestic and international magazines, newspapers, newswires and reference books. Also includes biographies and a large image collection of photos, maps, and flags.|
|Middle Search Plus contains primary source documents including Essential Documents in American History and reference books such as the Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia and the Encyclopedia of Animals. Full-text magazines include Sports Illustrated Kids, Scholastic News, National Geographic and dozens more.|
Funk & Wagnall’s New World Encyclopedia – For students and adults alike, this database indexes over 25,000 records, covering an array of topics.
Full text for each record may be easily accessed by double clicking on the topic from the display. The database contains various images, offers brief biographies as well as information in a variety of subject areas. This database is updated annually.
|Canadian Student Research Centre – Provides several customized Canadian features, from new source types (such as Canadian and International Magazines, Canadian and U.S. Newspapers). Limiters include lexile (reading level) and grade levels adjusted to Canadian values.|
|Canadian Reference Centre – Provides easy access to full text for an optimal research experience. Users will find this database helpful for research on Canada or to keep up with current events in Canada. This database also includes international content for research on Canada’s global involvement.|
|Khan Academy – “Learn almost anything for free.” 3300 videos explain many subjects.|
- Start your research, and make sure to include a search through the subscription-based databases that the library pays for -- these are good, often peer-reviewed sources you can't access without your library card!
- Make sure to understand how to evaluate your resources and avoid plagiarism! Learn how to write a bibliography, and start this at the beginning because it will be much easier than waiting till the end of your project to put it together.
- Consult the Writing Tools for the best word use, or how to even get started.
Library DatabasesCheck this website's Databases page!
Research InformationWhen you're doing online research for your writing assignment, you want to make sure that the websites you are consulting are factually-based.
- Evaluating Information Sources (UBC) - This guide will help you to evaluate resources you use for research, whether it is an online or print journal article, a website, a book, a newspaper article, or other source that you want to cite.
- Evaluating Web Resources (Dalhousie) - A detailed pdf kit.
- MediaBias - There's no such thing as unbiased news. But hidden media bias misleads, manipulates and divides us. AllSides empowers you to understand the role media bias plays in the news and information you consume.
- - Learn how to avoid plagiarizing other people's work.
- SparkNotes Guides- Summaries and insightful critical analyses of English literature, including Shakespeare, along with guides for history, math, biology, and other subjects.
- Write a Bibliography - from WikiHow.
- Cambridge Dictionary OnlineCambridge Dictionary Online, opens a new window - Find definitions for those tricky words!
- Essay Writing Center - Help with essay planning, structure, and basic writing. Has information on types of essays, presentation writing, business writing, and scholarships.
- Lexico Dictionary (Powered by Oxford) - Oxford English and Spanish dictionary, thesaurus, and Spanish to English translator. Includes tips for learning English as a second language.
- Thesaurus Online, opens a new window - Easily searchable online thesaurus to help spice up your writing.
Digital and Media Literacy
- MediaSmarts - Topics include cyberbullying, cell phones & texting, Internet & mobile, queer representation, and more...
Study Tips (SFU)
- Exam Preparation through Lectures and Readings - As you complete the lecture and reading for each topic in a course, go through this checklist to enhance your learning and begin the process of effective exam preparation.
- How to Study Efficiently and Effectively - Covers study schedule, study environment, and effective study strategies.
- Improve Your Memory - Sleep, consistent studying, and deep processing. Wait, what's deep processing? Click through to find out.
- Reviewing after Lecture - A key step in your regular study routine.
- Canadian Career College and Trade School Directory - Lists all of the trade schools in Canada by province.
- Canadian Universities & Colleges - Find programs in universities and colleges across Canada.
Post Secondary Education ResourcesRed River College University of Manitoba University of Winnipeg
Driver’s Education – a free tool to prepare candidates for the Manitoba driving licence written knowledge test.